Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Cat and Mouse

When I checked through my links to published works to make sure they were all viable, I came across one that wasn't. I won Honorable Mention in the 100 Words or Fewer contest last winter. I decided to re-print it here:



Cat and Mouse


By Ruth J. Hartman



“I pounce, therefore, I am.”

“You are what?” said the miniscule brown mouse.

“I am a cat,” said the fluffy yellow feline.

“So?”

“Show some respect.”

“Why should I?”

“I am a dangerous wild animal.”

“Oh, please!”

“Watch me.”

“You’re just sitting on the bookcase,” scoffed the mouse.

“Keep watching.”

“Still nothing. I‘m getting bored.”

“Ready?” asked the cat.

“For what?”

“For what’s going to happen next.”

“You’re bluffing. You’ll do nothing.”

The cat jumped high in the air, performed a somersault, and landed squarely on top of the mouse.

“I tried to tell you: I pounce, therefore, I am!”

*************************************************************************

1 comment:

rcponders said...

Hi Ruth,
Great poem! There is a yellow tabby outside my window right now; I can almost hear him reciting his lines.
Nice site. I can't believe I haven't been here before...
Happy New Year and Best Wishes for 2010.