Genres

Please click on boxes above for book information.

Writing is Imagination in Flight

About Me

My photo
Ruth J. Hartman spends her days herding cats, and her nights spinning mysterious romantic tales that make you smile and laugh out loud - or so she's been told my readers! She, her husband Garry, and their two cats, love to spend time curled up in their recliners watching old Cary Grant movies. Well, the cats, Roxy and Remmie, sit in the people's recliners. Not that the cats couldn't get their own furniture. They just choose to shed on someone else's. You know how selfish those little furry creatures can be.

The Romance Reviews
Photobucket
Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Who Knew A Mouse's Tail Could Do All That?

Every year about this time, I participate in the Christmas Village, an arts and handmade crafts fair. Well, this weekend was it. I sold several of my painted animal rocks. I also sold several copies of "My Life in Mental Chains." Along with this good news came a humorous surprise. I'd put my animal rocks on one side of the table and my book display on the opposite end. I had a few mouse rocks left over, so I sat them next to the sign that advertised the price of my books. These gray painted mice all have thin ribbon "tails" glued on to their hind quarters. While I watched people perusing my wares, one woman pointed to the mice and said to her friend, "Oh look, bookmarks!"

I started to correct her, but quickly closed my lips. Wait a minute. Did she say "bookmarks"? I mulled that one over a little. Why not? Who's to say they couldn't be? Who's to say those little painted mice with the gluey-butt tails couldn't do more than one job at a time? Before I could think about it further, another woman came up to check out the animals. "Look, bookmarks. You put their tails between the pages of  your book." I sat back in my chair and simply smiled. So it wasn't just one person's observation. What really got me was, why hadn't I ever thought of it before? I had randomly put them next to my books and several people noticed. If I'd left the little mice on their assigned end of the table, would anyone have thought they were more than just table decorations?

I took a ten minute break from my table and took a walk outside. I had an epiphany. When I got back inside, I placed a small note next to the mice in front of the books."Free Bookmark With Purchase of Book."
I'm now out of mice. But guess what? My new marketing strategy is born!

No comments: