Genres

Please click on boxes above for book information.

Writing is Imagination in Flight

About Me

My photo
Ruth J. Hartman spends her days herding cats, and her nights spinning mysterious romantic tales that make you smile and laugh out loud - or so she's been told my readers! She, her husband Garry, and their two cats, love to spend time curled up in their recliners watching old Cary Grant movies. Well, the cats, Roxy and Remmie, sit in the people's recliners. Not that the cats couldn't get their own furniture. They just choose to shed on someone else's. You know how selfish those little furry creatures can be.

The Romance Reviews
Photobucket
Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

Monday, December 21, 2009

What Writers Take for Granted

We've been having trouble with our phone. When I answered a call, I heard either buzzing bees or crashing waves on the ocean. Not really. But you get the idea. I'd have to yell to be heard, which irritated me and whoever the unlucky recipient was.

This morning they came to fix the problem. Something in the lines. He had to unhook our phone line which meant, yes, you know what's coming, no Internet either. I suddenly realized all the things I couldn't do without the Internet. E-mails, checking websites I'd recently posted on, and looking up a fact for the novel I'm working on, all gone by the wayside. So were paying bills, keeping up with a couple of chat rooms I'm a part of, and did I mention e-mail?! I see that I did, but good grief, I never realized how much I used it until it was gone. E-mail and the Internet encompass such a wide range of what we as writers do. Sending a query? Internet. Waiting for a response to your latest novel submission? Internet. Wondering if someone from your writers' group can answer your newbie marketing question? Internet.

It makes me appreciate all the more what writers went through before there was an online presence for anyone who wanted one.

Ah....But as you now can see, I'm back. Even this simple post is made possible by our wonderful, often taken for granted friend, the Internet.

And for the phone guy who made this possible? I don't know your name, but thanks!

No comments: